Monday, September 3, 2007

Grandma's notebook

While Dad was cleaning out some more of Grandma's stuff this summer, he came across this little notebook. In it, we found Grandma's travel diary notes from her trip to Little Rock for our wedding. As always, Grandma was meticulous about the details.

January 14, 1988 flew to Little Rock, Ark.
Left W. Palm on Delta at 2:20 P.M. and flew to Atlanta. Had 2 hrs and 40 minutes wait and ate early supper there.
Plane left half hour late and was dark. We enjoyed the lights of cities from the air. Amy was waiting for us and she & Rick took us to our Days Inn room. Jim & Louise had got in at noon. We all stayed in Days Inn and Dave & Jan came Sat morning.

Friday Amy, Rick, Louise, Jim, Noel, Harvey & I went in two cars out west of Little Rock to Petit Jean State Park. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a very enjoyable day. We ate dinner at night at Bennigens in Little Rock.

Saturday it was rainy but the wedding was a pretty ceremony at 4 P.M. Amy's dress and her bridesmaids' were made by a friend. We went to Jacksonville Country Club for the wedding dinner. Fourteen people were there. Wedding meal was chicken breast [tossed salad first] over wild rice, carrots & broccoli, rolls & drink. Two tiered wedding cake was spice with peach color flowers.

The left for Hot Springs for the weekend.

Sunday was cloudy and some fog. We went to Parkplace Reformed Prysberterian [sic] church and enjoyed a good message and friendly church.

Dave and Jan left soon after we got back to fly home. We snacked a little and took a nice nap.

About six Louise & Jim and us went to Bonanza for dinner and we spent the evening reading and watching TV. Monday morning we went with Louise & Jim to the Waffle house for breakfast.

They left for the airport about 10:30 AM. It was a cloudy partly foggy day.

Amy & Rick stopped by on their way back from Hot Spring at noon and asked us to come to their mobile home for supper.

Amy took us to the airport the next morning. It was overcast but we left on time. Had a lot of turbulance and went around a thunderstorm and arrived back at Palm Beach airport safely. Ed and Ann Van Wyk met us there. We traveled by Delta Airlines.

What Grandma and Harvey never knew was that a bunch of our friends had stopped by the trailer while we were honeymooning in Hot Springs and "decorated" the trailer for us. We got home and found yarn wrapped around doorknobs and lamps, toilet paper taped everywhere, chocolate sauce and edible undies arranged carefully on the bed, and condoms - with a little bit of dairy product - taped to the doorknobs. And Grandma was due to arrive in 45 minutes.

Luckily, I was able to get Noelle on the phone and scream for help. I think she was just leaving with the last of the incriminating evidence tucked under her arm when Grandma & Harvey pulled in.

I miss you, Grandma.

1 comment:

Christylea said...

I just re-read this... sometimes I miss Grandma so much.
A few weeks ago I was shopping at Walgreens and walked past a woman who looked so much like Grandma, it was scary. Then, I was super sad.