Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Baby Mittens

I had to travel to Milwaukee for a firm meeting, and Angel was kind enough to drive so that I could knit on the way. And so, we have baby mittens to go with the frog hat. I still need to embroider eyes and mouth on each frog, and now I need to embroider a couple of flies on the mittens. Anybody got a simple design for embroidered flies?
.


These are made from cotton, of course, so they won't be particularly warm. But I've explained this to the lady who requested them, and she's content that they'll cut the wind a bit and offer a little protection from the first chills of Fall. I'll know better when I find a baby to try them on, but to me they look about 3 - 6 month size (the same size as the hat).
.
Baby Mittens
Size 4 double-pointed needles
Size 6 double-pointed needles
Worsted-weight yarn of your choice. (I used Peaches 'n Creme cotton.)
.
Cast on 18 stitches on larger needles.
Switching to smaller needles, join stitches into circle and do "knit 1, purl 1" ribbing for 8 rows.
Using larger needles, begin stockinette stitch (knit all). Pick up four stitches evenly around first round.
Continue in stockinette stitch with larger needles for 8 rounds.
On 9th round, decrease two stitches evenly around the mitten.
Round 10: Knit 3, knit 2 together. Continue to end of round.
Round 11, 13, and 15: knit.
Round 12: Knit 2, knit 2 together. Continue to end of round.
Round 14: Knit 2, knit 1 together. Continue to end of round.
Round 16: Knit 2 together, continuing to end of round.
.
Break yarn and draw tail twice through remaining loops. Pull tight and secure yarn on private side of work. Weave in ends. If desired, add I-cord so mittens may be threaded through baby's jacket. Take picture and e-mail to jascott AT excel DOT net.
.
Let me know if you try this pattern, and how it turns out. I could see doing it with a nice soft merino for a winter baby; as a matter of fact, I may do that next. (After I finish more pirate hats, of course.)

No comments: