Saturday, August 2, 2008

Uh oh

I'm standing up with my brother Dan (yes, on the groom's side) for his wedding next month, and it's been kind of an adventure figuring out what one wears for the role of groomswoman. We finally, after significant effort, decided that I and the matron of honor would wear the same thing, a copper-colored dress from David's Bridal with a vest-like wrap front and trumpet shaped skirt which works well with "junk in the trunk." So last night I drove to Appleton after work with Tasha, rushed into the store 30 minutes before they closed, and proceeded to discover that although they found a top in my size (in Ohio), the skirt had an 8 - 12 week lead time and wouldn't be ready until well after the wedding. Not good.

What I think I'd like to do is just have a dress made here, which would probably be cheaper and would almost certainly fit better than anything off-the-rack in some specialty store. Butterick even has a pattern which could be made up along the same lines as the previously approved design. But the matron of honor is in Maine, along with the rest of the wedding party. The question of the moment is, will she be willing to trust me to procure a dress for her, sight unseen? I'm pretty sure I can approximate the fabric of the other dress, especially since browns seem to be popular this fall. And I can ask the seamstress to leave great big seam allowances in case alterations are needed. I'm just starting to get nervous about getting all this stuff taken care of in only 6 weeks.

Meanwhile, I had my best day yet at farmer's market this morning. Several baby hats went away, and I took more requests. I also sold every small copy I had of the 'Baby's First Christmas" cow image, as well as several other large images. I even moved a big chunk of Bill's clearance stuff (t-shirts, postcards, etc. from his store close-out). I really appreciated the encouragement, since after getting home from Appleton after midnight last night and getting up early today to give the dog a little attention before I left, I really was kind of wondering if it was going to be worth it. Oh, and that adult-sized pirate beanie? Turns out that 76 stitches on size 6 needles with all that colorwork makes a hat that's more suitable for an 8 year old. So I need to make another one.

2 comments:

Christylea said...

:) Love those heifers!
Sorry I missed your call last the other night. I was rushing around for our final campfire. I will give you a call if things settle down soon!

Unknown said...

Love the dress, color and style. What an easy pick for about any body type! I am also a afan of the Jersey pictures.
-Kate