Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ooo, I like where this is going . . .

We got the first armoir (minus the doors and still waiting a shelf, but still) in place in our bedroom last night. I'm looking at the large amount of stuff in need of organization, and all that open space on top of the cabinet, and I'm thinking, "books?" (I really, really need a bookshelf and theoretically there is one in work in the shop, but it's not getting a lot of attention at present.) "Television?" (Actually kind of a crappy angle to watch TV from the bed.) "Display of stash yarn?" (I'm not sure I want to put that much evidence of my addiction right where Rick will be constantly reminded of it.) "Hats?" I flopped my vintage green wool hat up there, and it collapsed into a puddle that hid most of its charm.

I really have been wanting hat forms for a while - I like hats, and wear them a lot (especially in the summer) and have lost more than a few to bad storage conditions. But those fake head thingees are not cheap, and I certainly can't go out and pick up half a dozen of them on the spur of the moment, even if I wasn't about to leave on back-to-back trips.

And then my eyes fell on part of my collection of 1 lb. cones of Peaches 'n Creme . . . voila! Part of my cotton collection, displaying part of my hat collection. And I think it looks pretty good!

3 comments:

DawnK said...

Hey, whatever works! LOL! The hats hide the yarn, helping you store your stash and they aren't right out in the open, where the hubby can see it, too. A husband would never see a cone of yarn, if it was covered by a hat, anyway! My husband and my dad certainly can't find things if it isn't right out in the open, even if you told him it was under the hat! LOL!

Jknits said...

Great idea for the hats. I love your shawl as well. Where is Waldo? I grew up in Mosinee, WI.
(I'm visiting from Monthly Dishcloths)

Margie said...

awesome! don't you love it when you can solve two problems at once that way? or store two things in the same space?