Thursday, September 11, 2008

Am I going a bit overboard?

When my sister got married a few years ago, my mother went quietly nuts. She took a course in floral design so she could do all the flowers herself. She traveled to the midwest (repeatedly) in order to help pick out and pay for the perfect dress, veil, wedding shoes, reception shoes, etc., etc., etc. She painted little river rocks with flowers and the names of each and every guest (over 100, if I remember correctly) to use as place markers for the dinner. She agonized over the preparations, and durn near missed the wedding itself because she was still perfecting the set-up of the reception hall until just before the music started. All I could do at the time was shake my head in wonder and disbelief.

So now my brother's getting married. I asked him what I could do to help (from 1400 miles away). He said:

A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."
In other words, don't go nuts and then try to bring it all in your suitcase.

Well, then we had some trouble sourcing the dresses, so I worked it out with a seamstress on this end. And I painted the shawls, cause it was fun and I wanted to. And for the same reasons, I made some jewelery to go with. [Dan, stop reading. Go away. Don't you have chores to do? Stop goofing around on the internet.] And I knew I didn't have time to finish a prayer shawl, so I worked a deal with a friend to have a quilted prayer cloth made instead. (Wait till you see. It's beautiful, and we're going to have the guests sign it with fabric pens before the ceremony.) And there's the garter. And the bride has rethought her wedding dress and is now wearing something a lot like the ones we had made, so I really want to paint a shawl for her in some nice subtle ivories and pearls. And I'm screwing around with PhotoShop and my favorite local printer to make 10 dozen wedding favors. And little sachets of birdseed so the guests have something to throw at the couple after the ceremony. And souvenir t-shirts for the wedding party, including one with iron-on flowers for the 4 year old flower girl. And I'm really, really having the time of my life with every bit of it.

But suddenly, I'm thinking I may not have a lot of room to talk about Mom.

No comments: