Friday, January 23, 2009

Creating a Quilt

No, I have not suddenly learned to sew in any sort of competent or artistic fashion. But I did track down the information for my (now expired) substitute teacher's license, as well as the forms for getting it reactivated. I have an appointment this afternoon to swing by the site of my most favorite teaching experience ever (high school English, with the assignment being The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock) and have them attest that they'd like me back. Luckily, in Wisconsin all you need for a 3 year substitute teacher certificate is a bachelor's degree in something (anything, really), a school willing to say that they might give you an assignment someday, and the wherewithal to go through the background check. Oh, and $100 for the license.
.
I have also followed up with several tentative leads for website photography, and am doing some loss-leader portrait work this Sunday. I've also got a line on 2 art shows which might include my work, and will be discussing the possibility of teaching a Saturday morning class on outdoor portrait photography.
.
Farmer's market will be coming up again before we know it, so I'm laying in supplies of knitted goods and rethinking my display strategy. I want to be able to show larger prints on a vertical surface, so Rick and I are thinking about creating a Z-shaped stand-up floor display from some vintage screen doors and a couple of piano hinges. (We'll see if it works.) And I need to figure out how to make some display bins, rather than paying the big bucks such things command online. I like the idea of using recycled materials, and I think I want to paint it all barn red (which should work well, since Rick tells me he accidentally dusted my market canopy with red paint while working on his car in the garage).
.
In addition to the much discussed photography and knitting, I think I've convinced Rick to teach me to weld. We've got the equipment, and Lord knows we've got enough left-over car parts sitting around, so I may try my hand at welding yard art sculptures for the market. And I bought a book yesterday on mosaics - I've always been curious about it, and there was a woman at the Port Washington Market a few times who did really well with just a few basic mirror pieces. Lots of opportunities for recycling!
.
And in addition to Lay Academy (which has me in DeForest again this weekend), I've begun the process to be licensed as a lay minister for this summer. I've been asked to cover for our regular minister while he's on sabbatical for 3 months, and licensing will allow me to administer communion to shut-ins and perform the sacraments in case of emergency. So suddenly I have 10 separate preaching assignments and a bunch of homework coming up!
.
Dan told me a while back that it's not always necessary to find a job that pays x, if you can instead find 6 jobs that you like and that each pay x/6. We'll see.
.

No comments: