Tuesday, June 17, 2008

For Want of Chocolate

I ran to Evans over my lunch break on Monday - one of those small-town stores where if they don't have it, you didn't really need it anyway. They have a surprisingly good color selection in single skeins of Sugar & Creme, and I found a matching ball of the tan color from the baby surprise sweater. Okaaaaay, but it wasn't my first choice. I bought it, just the same. (They also had the "country brown ombre" represented elsewhere in the sweater, but the browns in the dye lot available just didn't have that rich chocolate tone so I put that one back.)

Yesterday evening I somehow wandered an extra 20 minutes South on my way home from work to the Saukville Wally World, which has an excellent color selection of 1 lb cones of Peachese & Creme. At $4.04 per gallon for the cheap stuff (and the sticker on my gas cap says I'm only supposed to use the premium gas), I'm not exactly sure how this happened. It's just that I was convinced the sweater needed, nay, was destined to have an all-chocolate button band and edge. And since I hadn't seen the chocolate yarn at Evans, and I have a pretty good eye for color variations, I was pretty sure that it was a Peaches & Creme shade that I would find in Saukville. And sure enough, I walked out of there with a big cone of chocolate cotton, and maybe a couple of other pounds that just somehow jumped into my cart. ($6.97 each - how can you not? And I owed it to myself to ensure that the gas had been expended as efficiently as possible.)

But when I got home - it was a different chocolate. Ghiradelli vs. Nestle - just the kind of subtle difference that I would hate if I tried to ignore it. And so, after all that, I finished it with the chai-colored yarn after all. At least I found some little pseudo-leather buttons in an appropriate brown, which may look cute.



And now for something completely different - the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life of Sheboygan County is scheduled to begin on Friday, July 18, 2008 at 10:00 p.m. at the Sheboygan Falls High School, with volunteers walking the track continuously until the next afternoon. They have a bunch of dedicated laps, including the survivor's lap - always, ALWAYS makes me weepy - and the lighting of the luminaries. I'll be walking on behalf of my friend Michelle, one of the most loving, giving, saintly persons ever to work a church kitchen, who battled breast cancer for decades and was able to watch both her teens graduate from high school before going on to her reward about a year ago. And I will walk with my Aunt Jo in mind, another heroic woman who left the world a slightly dimmer place with her loss (again, to breast cancer). And there are, of course, others.


If you would like to sponsor me, drop me an e-mail at jascott at excel dot net. (I hope I don't regret posting that online!) Paypal is probably the easiest, although I'm not well enough educated to figure out how to add a button here. Or donations can be sent care of First Congregational UCC, 1405 Highway 67, Plymouth, WI 53073. (Again, I really hope I don't regret posting that online.)


Thank you.

No comments: